Attention

Hunting and fishing draws for alberta are due at the end of this month. Just a reminder to all who have forgotten!

-Tyler















1/17/10

Advancing Your Gear


I am pretty confident in saying that 80% of Ice-fishermen enjoy Tip-up action!
I am definately in that percentage group, and im going to talk about products you can find at your local Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart.







Canadian Tire and Wal-mart... We all know that they dont have the greatest selection of ice-fishing gear out on the market. But rest assured that you can advance your low end gear.

I have spend most of my tip-up fishing using custom made tip-ups that my father created years ago. Over time, we made them better adding free spooling reels and a flaging system. But it came to my attention that our system still was not what i wanted it to be. I was loosing alot of fish, and alot of bait.
My soution to this issue came to me when walking through the fishing section at Wal-Mart here in Medicine Hat. South Bend has a windless tip-up with a flag system on it which caught my attention. I purchased 2 of these tip-ups and thought i would give it a whirl. I added a few extra things, such as South Bend Bells that i attatched to the flag, and also HT Polar Tip-Up line rated to 50lbs and red in color.
Thats it... That is all the modification i needed to do to these tip-ups.

Their are a couple of good advantages to this set up. First; You can leave it in your hole all day without the spool freezing over. Its a free spooling system, so when a fish grabs your bait, the flag releases. This is where the bells come in handy, you dont have to be staring your tip-up down all day, when you hear the bell, you know you've got a bite! Second; The red line is great because red is the first color that loses transperancy in the water, which means the fish will have a hard time being distracted from your line attatched to the bait.
Again, that is it. A simple system for tip-up fishing.
To finish it all off i picked up the HT Rod locker system bag to keep my tip-ups tangle free and easy to carry and store.

Since i have switched to this system of tip-up fishing, my results have greatly improved, and i can assure you that yours will too!

1 comment:

  1. agreed bud. check out my new blog which goes into more depth as far as the tip-up itself and results, excellent review. Quick and to the point... GO AND BUY THESE PRODUCTS, THEY WORK :)

    ReplyDelete