Attention

Hunting and fishing draws for alberta are due at the end of this month. Just a reminder to all who have forgotten!

-Tyler















1/5/10

Sonar Love


For alot of Ice-Fishermen out there, getting out on the ice is just something done to kill time, and get some fresh air. If you are like me however, it is much more than that! Dont get me wrong, a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!






If you want to become a more successfull Ice-Fishermen i suggest you start looking at purchasing some kind of Sonar Unit (Flasher).  There are many companies such as; Vexilar, Hummingbird, Marccum, Lowrance, and Showdown. All of them are alike in many ways and each have its advantages, and disadvantages.
I chose to purchace the Vexilar FL-8.

Let me tell you this, since the day i aquired it, my fishing success, intesity, and enjoyment has tripled!
With a flasher at my hole, i can see exactly what depth i am fishing, the density of the bottom, I can distinguish baitfish, or a walleye belly to the bottom.
It doesnt stop there folks! by using a flasher, you can also learn to understand fish and their behaviors. You can see if the fish in the area are interested in your bait, or could care less if it was a medium rare t-bone fresh off the grill!
let me warn you though... Once you use one, fishing isnt the same without it! I dont think i could step onto the ice without my Vexilar. And the same goes with my brother and his Showdown.
If you want to step your snag rate up on the ice, my suggestion to you is... Pick up any one of these great investments! I promise you will enjoy ice-fishing alot more!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more but i have something i can add to this.
    depending on the distance to the fish, the colors change depending on what unit you have. So basically it alows you to see how far away the fish is, based on its signal strength!

    Good job though DO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. I prefer my Showdown for that reason, the bar is black.. and when the fish chases the bar spreads! It is entertaining but hard to determine what is baitfish, or perch or a big walleye as I tend to keep my sensitivity high. Agreed, nice write up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you bring good points to mind...
    I appreciate your input! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually interested in trying the Lowrance Portable Ice Finder / Digital Flasher... :)

    ReplyDelete